Saturday, October 22, 2011

Defining Talent - Music

Noun: 1. Natural aptitude or skill.

That is the definition I got when I searched "what does talent mean" on Google. It's an accurate definition, and everyone has at least one talent. For me it's annoying the crap out of people by rambling on about things they don't care about. But really, no matter what talents people have, they all have at least one.

Talent is often associated with music and bands. If a band's song completely blows your mind away, that band has talent. Often it's the skill of the band members, often it's just how well the song is put together, and often it's the ingenuity of the lyrics.

This here is talent.

Okay, so what was that? A band aid commercial, of course. But that was a 14-year-old playing the piano. It is rare to see such a young person with so much skill. The boy is named Jordan Rudess. He is now 54 years old, and one of the greatest keyboardists of all time.

See what you can do with potential?

I know some bands with amazingly talented musicians. If you're interested, here are a few amazing drum solos: 1, 2, 3.

But sometimes the talent is due to just being unique. If you can do something really well that other people never even thought of doing, that is indeed talent. A while ago I discovered one of the most talented bands I had ever heard of. Watch on and you'll see why.


Holy smokes! Did you just see what you thought you saw? Yes! Van Canto is the first and only metal a cappella band to walk the face of the earth. The first time I saw this video my jaw dropped to the floor and my eyes popped out of their sockets. Van Canto defines talent.


And then there are people who can still play instruments very well even when they have disabilities. I've seen some amazing things in my time (short as that time may have been), and among them were some of the things that crippled people have been able to do. This is an amazing piano solo by a girl who only has fingers on one hand:


I find things like this so . . . inspiring!

Now, no matter what a blog post is about, if it includes a bunch of videos, it deserves to have a cute video at the end. I could go on and on about talented bands and musicians, but I'm running low on time. So for a closing, he's a video about an adorable 4-year-old violinist.


Someday he's going to be someone big. That's what talent does for you, if you take advantage of it. It's a shame so many people don't see their own talents, and therefore never become who they should be. Anyone can rise about the average slums of this world. People just need to realize how.

1 comment: