Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thursday Impressions: Oozi: Earth Adventure



Oozi: Earth Adventure is a game currently in the Steam Greenlight, which means it's not officially on Steam yet, but it may be eventually. It's about an alien named Oozi who crash-lands on Earth. As described on the Greenlight page, "Oozi: Earth Adventure is a classic 2D platformer with old school gameplay, with no puzzle, no punishment, just 100% pure classic platforming fun!"

You see, that description in itself was enough to get me excited for the game. 2D platformers are my specialty, but I can't stand some games because of the "puzzle" and "punishment" involved. From what I've played, this game lives up to what it says... for the most part.

Oozi is a super fun game. It took me a while to get used to the physics, but that was expected. (Of course the game was meant to be played with a gamepad, but I don't have one.) Also, the game has a control scheme that only uses the mouse. I've never seen that before in a 2D platformer, and I have no idea how well that would work. It's pretty cool, though.

The gameplay itself, once the physics have been gotten used to, is quite fun. There is a not-so-infrequent form of "punishment" in the game, and that is that water always kills you instantly and sends you back to the last checkpoint when you touch it. This can get very, very frustrating, as it's harder to avoid than other hazards are, and other hazards only take one health each.

The visuals and music are pretty sweet as well. The soundtrack could occasionally get a little bit repetitive, but never annoying. In the end, I really have to recommend the game. It would make a perfect addition to Steam's library of games.

Verdict: Definitely keep playing.
It's my kind of game, and it's awesome so far. Perhaps I'll review it once I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment