Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 04 - The Egg

Indie Video Gaming Week, Day 04 - Game Review: An Untitled Story

Yes, I'm late again. Yes, I reviewed this game before. Is there any reason why I can't review something twice? Besides, this is Indie Video Gaming Week, I need to review something!



Welcome to the land of . . . well, I really don't know. The land doesn't have a name. It's untitled, just like the game. And yes . . . you are an egg.

An Untitled Story is a game about an untitled egg, journeying across an untitled land, looking for untitled adventure. The only thing wrong with that is a question. What is "untitled adventure"? Well, I would say this game is untitled adventure.

AUS, as it is called for short, is a 2D exploration platformer created in two years by Matt Thorson. I was not able to play through the entire game before writing this review, because the game is so dang huge. Beating the entire game wasn't necessary though, because I've beaten it many times before.

In An Untitled Story, the story is as subtle as the average Metroid game's story is, and it is filled with dozens of different locations (from inside a tree, to a volcanic passageway, to an icy castle floating in the sky), numerous bosses, and tons of collectibles.

Of the three games I've reviewed this week, this game is the longest and, in my opinion, the best (though I would recommend all of them to everyone). There are four main difficulty levels (and one you can unlock), each dramatically altering the game difficulty.

The first time I played the game, I thought I had almost beat the game after a while. What I didn't realize then, is that I was probably less than a tenth of the way through the game. And the bazillion power-ups and health upgrades hidden all around the game world didn't help in making it any shorter.

Like the last two games, I strongly recommend An Untitled Story. It is one of the best games I have ever played. Ever.

Download An Untitled Story for free from Matt Thorson's Website

Anyway, that ends the game reviews. The last three days of the week will consist of interviews. Talking with the men who made these wonders.

Until later,
Reuben Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment