Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 06 - Crossing Fingers

Indie Video Gaming Week, Day 06 - Developer Interview: Chris Roper



That ship in the above image is about to be owned into pieces. Just saying. Anyway, we have gathered here today for a very special reason . . . it's Friday! No, no, no, I'm not referencing any song, I'm just saying that today is Friday! Friday is Day 06, and on Day 06 we interview people! Or at least one person.

That one person is Chris Roper (Pug Fugly Games), the genius behind Return to Sector 9, along with many other arcade-style shooters. I would call him a master of being addicting, but I'm pretty sure it's his games that are addicting, not himself (though who knows . . .).

Anyway, here it is, if you're bored enough to feel like reading the interview. . . . Just kidding, it's an awesome interview. Read it!

---------

Reuben Horst: So how’s your life been recently, Chris?

Chris Roper: Fine thanks!

RH: About how old were you when you started getting interested in making games?

CR: About 10. I started with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum in about 1983. I then made games on and off, on various computers and ultimately ended up with Game Maker.

RH: What are your favorite video games, whether PC, console, or handheld?

CR: My favourite games of the last few years are Uncharted 2 and Fallout 3. I don't really play many games but the PS3 is my gaming platform of choice at the moment.

RH: What really inspires you to make games?

CR: Generally I make games I'd like to play really. I guess that's ultimately a waste of time because once the game is done I tend to not want to ever see it again! Also it's nice to do something creative with your spare time I think.


RH: Which of the games you have made are you the most satisfied with?

CR: R2S9 [Return to Sector 9] - it's my best game, but apart from that it was a massive project that was on and off for a few years. I'm pleased I stuck with it and actually got it done, and I'm pleased with the overall quality of it. The Pyramid did well for me in winning the Retro Remakes contest, but I'm not all that fond
of the game to be honest.


RH: How did you think of the story and backstory in the various arcade games in your compilation game, Return to Sector 9, that all take place in the infamous, fictional region of space known as “Sector 9”?

CR: Well I just wanted to have a brief background to each game. Didn't want to be serious or too in depth. I was going for an amusing, cliched kind of feel to the little stories. Not sure about the inspiration, probably Red Dwarf and various nasty space films...


RH: You recently stated that your latest announced game, Glum, has been indefinitely cancelled. Is there any possibility at all of you finishing it someday?

CR: Don't think so unfortunately, even though it is a pretty decent game I think, with a lot of potential. It would be a big project to do it justice and I don't want to commit to a year of development. Also I've become more interested in the idea of developing games for various mobile platforms and would like to concentrate on that.

I have quite a few promising projects that will probably never be worked on again, but I'm guessing it's the same for all developers.


RH: Are you working on anything new now?

CR: I've had to abandon a few projects lately for various reasons beyond my control which has been disappointing, but I'm currently in the process of formulating my next game. It's something a bit different and will hopefully be coming to a mobile device near you at some point, fingers crossed!


RH: If you could make a collaboration with any other video game developer, independent or not, who would it be?

CR: Hmm interesting. Not really sure, I think ultimately I'm happiest working on my own, although I would like to make a game with Darthlupi at some point. We've always discussed doing it, just the timing has never been right.


RH: What’s your favorite brand of soda?

CR: Would have to be boring and say Diet Coke unfortunately!


RH: Well thanks for your time, Chris!

---------

So yes, my entire goal of the day has just been completed. I'm finally finishing and posting on my blog before noon, and it's a lot better than trying and trying to get it done later in the day, and ending up with it being at least 5:00 pm before I get my blog post up.

But anyway, if you're interested in more games, check out Chris' website!


Ta-ta for now,
Reuben Horst

No comments:

Post a Comment